Thursday, May 5, 2011

Flames

This is probably one of the most expensive and saught after marbles I own. It's a Christensen Agate "Flame". CAC marbles were only made during 1925-1933. The name comes from the flame lick pattern. I have yet to see another one like it on ebay or in books. There are similar ones that Grist's last book (RIP) depicted in the rear under Rarities. I contacted a very well known collector and dealer recently to get his opinion on the value. He sells marbles consistantly for others on consignment and gets upwards of a thousand dollars on many of his sales. I trust his word. He said it was worth between $150.00 to $300.00. Needless to say, I didn't pay that...I got this in a lot with others. If you pay attention to my blog, you will see I have a lot of interests. My focus on collecting anything is how cool I think it is...and many times value or rareness. You see, I don't want to hoard and die with the "most toys"...this and all I do is for my kids. They don't know it yet, but when I am gone they will inherit a very nice collection of model kits, marbles, toys, tools, knives, watches, jewelry, furniture and etc.. They can choose to sell it all or keep it in the family. I didn't get the luxury of inheritance, I had to make it a point that I wanted certain things from my Dad. I want my kids to know they inherited things, instead of having to force anyone to give them something. My kids will also inherit their family history, thanks to my Mom, Aunt, Cousins and others. I have a pretty healthy collection of old photos, articles and more containing all they would want to know of where they came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment