Monday, August 15, 2011

Site Exposure

Getting web site exposure can make or break your business in this day and age. I don't run a business online, but I get plenty of exposure. My web site(s) are among the most popular in the world for model car building. I provide free services to the whole hobby and everyone in it. Doing this and providing service that has never been supplied over the internet has landed my site(s) among the highest , probably the most visited model car hobby sites in the world. Though I don't make money off my site(s), I have enough visitors to start a business and be successful at it quite easily. If it ever came to it, I could sell my domain since it's proven it'self time and again to be desired.
Number one, I have been building an instructions , box art, decals and built box art models archive over the last 7 years. It's so often referred to , through so many web sites that I can do google or any searches and find my name, my models, sites and it still amazes me!
I keep my photos on www.fotki.com and host them on my site(s) from there. I have been a paying member since 2005. My fotki site is for the use of Drastic Plastics Model Car Club "Gold Members". These are the people who help keep the site(s) paid for each month and year. I can't take total credit for how much traffic we get, afterall they have photos there too and people come to see their models.
The biggest part of the club's fotki site is the instructions, box art etc...reference section. I do take great pride in the work I have done over the years. I am the only one in control of it and I own all site(s) under the name Drastic Plastics, Traditional Rod and Kustom in scale, Low Down Creations, www.thedpmcc.com and more.
The model car hobby might actually be pretty small compared to everyhting else going on in the world. I run into people all of the time that didn't know model kits still exist. With that said, it does amaze me that our fotki is among the top 5 most visited in the world every single day! Once in awhile Drastic Plastics Model Car Club is at the very top and that reminds me of all the hard work and all of the people who helped make it possible.....and how much more work is still yet to be done LOL
In order to get site exposure, make sure you are submitted your URL to search engines like google, yahoo, bing etc.. When ever you get a chance, tell people about your site. (like I am doing right now) Use sites like craigslist or iantique to share the link to your site and draw attention to it. It does take a little while to get a steady flow of visitors....so keep in mind, they will not come back if the site is not updated on a regular basis! My fotki gets between 700 and 1,000 visitors a day and that's what keeps it at the top of the list!
My site , thedpmcc.com is linked 684 times through various web sites and has more than half a million visitors. Really guys and gals...if a "plastic model car" site can be that popular....YOUR site can be also! You can contact similar interest sites and email them to "exchange links" which will help increase traffic also.
Spread the word about iantique every chance you get...it will not only increase membership and visits to this site, but it will also open more chance for you to expose your site(s) and to gain much more! Just by being associated and active here can lead to sales, good buys and new friends!
TIP: Offer something to your visitors that doesn't require money or a lot of "skill" to use. I see a lot of antique and collectible sites offering reference material.
I hope that anything I have said might inspire you and added information to what you already knew....as well as made you think more positively about your future on the web. My talking about my sites was mainly to be examples and yes to be able to tell you about it's success. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment